Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists most of us have stone walls: could be any right time, spot or location. There’s absolutely no one solution for re re re solving a dead end up in our lineage. Every issue has to differently be approached. Because many documents in many areas and cycles are focused around guys, we frequently only have a very first title of the spouse, or frequently, no title after all. We simply understand she ended up being the wife of Thomas Jones. To resolve this kind of dilemma we should figure out the time, location and circumstances in accordance with our feminine ancestor. We should lay the groundwork for attacking the difficulty in a way that is special.
Possibly the many simple solution to strike such a challenge is always to create a timeline of her life. Collect all information understood about her. If you don’t much is well known, give attention to her spouse. Where were they whenever, from wedding and even delivery, towards the right time that they had kids, towards the close of the everyday lives.
1. Try to find the wedding record it self. Find the marriage record that is original. The wedding licence or application can be more valuable compared to the initial. In the event that you can’t get the marriage, look for it in surrounding areas, or always check different marriage indexes.
2. Always check all records that are possible spouse to have clues to greatly help figure out whom she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought within the military, check retirement papers for the widow. Military retirement Papers important, specially if spouse outlived spouse. Beneficial to Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A female had to show that she had been wife that is lawful widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications frequently contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first and on occasion even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining maiden title. These are maybe not useful in big towns or if perhaps the family rented. If guy passed away with out a might, their estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all young young ones, also daughters with married names. Locate them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself bad of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in most the documents for the area. Study other families, particularly her husband’s family, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go often, or originate from a well-established category of the region? Did he cope with folks of other surnames? He may been employed by together with his wife’s dad, so discover with who he previously company transactions. Whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your research. Exactly exactly just What took place towards the kids? Maybe another descendant has information.
6. Trace the household in most feasible census returns. US or Canadian censuses, particularly 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sibling hitched in nj-new jersey, so check always N.J. and you also will dsicover their wedding here aswell. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 could possibly get access to most census returns on line. 1940 or later on can be had for a cost.
Uk census 1911, 1921 could be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with household in census, may be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Always check papers that are private your own personal household records and records, household Bibles, etc.
8. The marriage might not anywhere have been recorded that endures, particularly when in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a married relationship in New England may well not endure.
9. As soon as a female ended up being widowed, she became mind for the home. She turn to act as a surety in a bond or witness to land transaction when she needs assistance as a single woman or a widow, who will? She shall probably go to her brothers or daddy in your community. Names on appropriate papers working with a widow may be her family relations.
10. Sources to check on to discover her title:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST MONITORING OF FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. UNCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS IN REGARDS TO THE IRISHES. A LARGE was had by her PULPIT BIBLE WHICH REPORTED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY CAME TO BE 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it might meet your needs. Seek family members and bibles on Web, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of wedding for the right time frame). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – cross-stitch and needlepoint, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, birth times, view of family members farm.
Banton Family (masonic rock symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
ag e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to even find the parents after discovered the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to obtain required information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four kiddies.”
f. Death certification of a female must have her name that is maiden on, in addition to her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates must have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates also could have her maiden name. Her children’s marriage documents additionally might have it. Civil or public record information, for instance, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in Ca. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and discovered them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, wife or family members.
New Hampshire Morning Celebrity, Dover, N.H.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, spouse of Moses Anderson and youngest child of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. She left a son or daughter child. (Death certificate doesn’t provide any one of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: often give wife’s maiden name, or inform where as soon as hitched. May inform wherever from
i. Probate record of her dad or her brothers. You may need certainly to read all wills when you look at the county to find out her title. Probates could be published, indexed and abstracted . Brand brand New Hampshire has all wills published and abstracted with an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Posted or ready Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or any other libraries that are major regional towns, universities, etc.
- There are numerous CDs with marriages for the state or dating older ukrainian women province
- United states Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand Brand New England. It really is at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or published. This quarterly published continuously since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of data.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC for this. Can look for all entries of one’s surnames, yet not indiv >County histories, particularly Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information had been self-serving, flattered individuals to place your very own bio and photo of self, family members or farm. Not necessarily accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information within their number of bibles.
13. Other Sources to locate maiden title:
- Transcribed or posted article or monograph in log on your own surname.
- The thing that was faith? Today Don’t assume same as you are. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are lots of sources, documents and methodologies for getting a name that is maiden.
*Your ancestor would not appear away from nowhere. Had a full life and lived somewhere just before wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably reside in the exact same area.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we shall find maiden title. We look and appearance, look for recommendations and sources and how to approach a challenge.
*Look in the entire household – all children, siblings, of spouse. The spouses could have married siblings of 1 another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of family relations, to fix a name problem that is maiden.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 methods to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s guide to Discovering Your ancestors that are femaleCincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to recognize a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Histories,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The half that is hidden of family members: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)